The PNCR on Thursday last reiterated that it will never support an amendment to the constitution to allow President Bharrat Jagdeo to contest the Presidency for a third term.
Speaking at the party’s weekly press conference at Congress Place, PNCR-1G MP Keith Scott, who read from a prepared statement, said that for the President to be granted a third term in office, the Opposition would first have to agree to this and he emphasized that this will not happen.
The party’s statements come after the actions earlier this week of a shadowy group calling itself the “Guyanese Coalition For Jagdeo Third Term” (GCFJTT). The group has been distributing flyers and buttons campaigning for Jagdeo to be supported for a third run for the presidency. The members of the group remain unknown.
PNCR Leader Robert Corbin, who was present at yesterday’s press conference, told this newspaper on Wednesday that whoever was responsible for the actions of the group was “out of touch with reality because it will never happen.”
At the press conference, the PNCR labelled these recent actions as “political games” by the PPP intended to take the attention away from the various controversies ensnaring the PPP/C administration.
However, the PPP, through its General Secretary Donald Ramotar, has said that it is not in any way affiliated with the group and its activities. He also called the actions of this group mischievous since President Jagdeo has repeatedly denied having an interest in contesting for the presidency for a third time. Officials employed at the Office of the President have also stated that they are unaware as to who is behind this campaign.
The PNCR also said yesterday that the activities of the group are an attempt to distract from “the government’s involvement in criminal enterprises and the united call by the Joint Opposition Parties for an international inquiry of the administration as a result of the evidence revealed in the recent trial of Robert Simels in the United States.”